Friday 4 January 2013

Project 28 Lacan's prose is notoriously remote

Project 28 Lacan's prose is notoriously remote

Having read the passage three or four times as with all of Lucan's work I still remain unsure of his theory.  I did a web search but was unable to find anything relevant although I did come across a number of articles vilifying Lucan and his ideas.  I then turned to Kaja Silverman.  On this subject I came across this interesting quote.

" Lacan's prose is notoriously remote, and his presentation deliberately a- systematic. Many of the terms to which he most frequently returns constantly shift meaning.  These qualities make it almost impossible to offer definitive statements about the Lucanian argument indeed, Lucan himself almost never agreed with his commentators" (Visual Culture The Reader; eds. Jessia Evans and Stuart Hall; Sage Publications 2010p340).

Silverman seems to avoid the problems that this raises for her as a commentator.  It seems that she picks those parts that supports one's theory and even then ignores the problems with the parts that remain unclear.  i.e. when she fails to address the questions of the congenitally blind child and Lucan's initial belief that the mirror stage occurred around four months.  Having argued with Lucan's "almost never agreed with his commentators" Silverman failed to see the irony of her being a commentator with whom Lucan would most likely disagree - so added to my confusion!

I would like to give my thoughts to a poster shown in my course book by Dan Smith called This is my war too!

As follows 

I think this is dismissing Lucan's theory by saying that the female is equal to the male in bring able to defend in the aspect her country by the wording "This is my war too"  maybe not in the front line but by bringing support in any way possible.?




No comments:

Post a Comment